What You Can and Can’t DIY With Your HVAC System
Think of your heating, ventilating and air conditioning (HVAC) system as you do your car. You take it in for regular oil changes, check the tire pressure and fill it with gas. All of these things prevent damage and help it run as smoothly as possible — for as long as possible. Your HVAC system is the same way, and there are some basic things you can do to keep it running as efficiently as possible in your Hanahan, South Carolina, home.
Things You Can Do
Here are some steps you can take to care for your HVAC system:
- Check and replace your air filters. This is the most important thing you can do. Allowing your filters to stay dirty strains your HVAC system and causes it to run much less efficiently. While it’s advisable to replace your filters every 30 to 90 days, you might need to change them more often if you like to keep your windows open, live in a dusty environment or have pets.
- Keep HVAC system clean. Every week or so, check your outdoor unit for leaves, dirt, sticks or garbage that might get stuck in it. Keeping your unit clean allows for maximum airflow to the fan and helps it run more efficiently.
- Listen for unusual noises. If you hear unusual noises coming from your system, it could have a blockage or loose bolts. Being aware of the noises your system makes helps you know when it’s time to call a professional.
When to Call a Professional
Call a service technician:
- Anytime you need to replace a part
- For yearly checkups to identify problems, loose bolts, and wires
- To clean coil fins
- Whenever you need to handle chemicals
Not sure what state your HVAC system is in? Call Berkeley Heating and Air Conditioning today at 843-277-6030 to have our trained service technicians take a look at your system and ensure it’s running as efficiently as possible.
Image provided by Shutterstock