Are you enjoying the beautiful spring weather in North Charleston, SC? Don’t let the summer months sneak up on you without making sure that you have your air conditioning serviced. Pre-season tune-ups are helpful for ensuring optimum performance and reducing your potential for repair needs.
What Is a Tune-Up?
A pre-season tune-up is an opportunity for a certified HVAC technician to professionally evaluate your air conditioning system to make sure that any problems are corrected. Your tech arrives with a tune-up checklist and begins with a physical inspection of indoor and outdoor units. This is accompanied by some of the following tests and treatments:
- Pressures are tested and leaks are diagnosed
- Refrigerant level is adjusted if needed, and related refrigerant leak issues are addressed
- Loose fittings are tightened
- Bearings and other appropriate parts are lubricated
- Coils and condensate pans are inspected and cleaned
- Ducts are inspected
- Thermostat is tested
Your technician will bring any problems to your attention, making recommendations for any part replacements or repairs needed to complete your system optimization.
Benefits of an Air Conditioning Tune-Up
There are several major reasons to have a tune-up. It’s important to have your AC serviced each spring in order to have the best performance possible. This can result in:
- Longer life for your AC unit
- Up to 95 percent reduction in unexpected repairs
- Improved efficiency and lower energy bills
- Better home air quality
- Exceptional home comfort during the hot summer months
- Up-to-date information about energy efficiency, air quality and new equipment options
- Professional advice about the life of your system
- Help in planning for your eventual upgrade of equipment
Warning Signs from Your AC Unit
If you haven’t had a tune-up before, it’s easy to put it off. Some people try to limit expenses as much as possible. However, you should pay attention to some telltale signs that things aren’t working properly, scheduling service to avoid serious damage. Some of the issues to watch for include:
- Poor airflow through your ducts – there could be a blockage in your ducts or coils, or your filter could be clogged
- Temperatures of air not being very cool – low refrigerant levels can lead to poor cooling
- Ice on your coils – low refrigerant levels or dirty coils can cause freezing of the coils
- Unusual sounds from either your indoor or outdoor unit – your equipment may have a broken or loose part that could lead to serious damage
- Continuous operation of your air conditioner – thermostat settings could be incorrect or the thermostat battery could be low
- Unexplained spike in energy bills – there may be a problem in your HVAC equipment, a system tune-up will provide a solution
A tune-up is helpful for addressing these issues and provides the opportunity to have an overall inspection of your equipment. If you do experience a system failure, Berkeley Heating & Air Conditioning provides 24-hour emergency repair service. As a Carrier Factory Authorized Dealer, we also keep our service vehicles stocked and ready to deal with Carrier equipment issues at all times.