Why Isn’t My HVAC System Working as Well as It Used To?
Many homeowners don’t realize that with all the parts and mechanical functions, their HVAC system is as delicate as any other machine. It needs regular care to stay in good working condition. If the heating or cooling system in your Charleston, South Carolina, is not working as it should, there could be several reasons.
Common HVAC Problems
- A dirty filter: Many underestimate how important it is to keep a clean filter in the unit. A dirty filter blocks airflow, making it harder for your system to reach the desired temperature. Apart from affecting indoor temperatures, a dirty filter can cause a host of other issues including respiratory problems.
- Malfunctioning thermostat: You might think there’s an issue with your HVAC system when it’s your thermostat that needs to be repaired.
- Your evaporator coils are dirty or frozen: If dust and debris have gathered on the coils, they need to be cleaned so that they do not create other problems. A frozen evaporator coil can spell trouble. It’s caused by low refrigerant levels, poor airflow, or dirty coils and requires a professional fix.
- Duct leaks: Duct leaks cause air to escape from the ducts instead of going into your rooms as needed. An HVAC pro can locate and repair any leaks or damage to the ductwork.
- Airflow imbalance: An obstructed or closed vent can cause imbalanced air flow. As a result, some parts of your house will not get the right level of cooling or heating.
- Low refrigerant: Low refrigerant makes it harder to cool the house. You will need to have an expert check and restore refrigerant levels, and repair the leak.
What You Should Do
Except for a dirty filter, most issues need a professional’s attention to avoid damaging the unit further or even accidentally hurting yourself. In general, you should schedule regular maintenance for your system so that your technician can keep your system in good condition and detect problems before they occur.
Give Berkeley Heating & Air Conditioning a call at 843-277-6030 for more information about our maintenance and repair services. Our technicians are trained and experienced to provide the service you need.
Image provided by Shutterstock